16 Dec 2012

Book Review: Dawn Comes Early by Margaret Brownley

Looking for a woman of good character and pleasant disposition willing to learn the ranching business in Arizona territory. Must be SINGLE and prepared to remain so now and forever more. Will be given ownership of ranch. --Eleanor Walker

Disgraced dime novelist Kate Tenney fled the city that banned her latest book for a fresh start at a cattle ranch in the Arizona Territory. She hopes ranching turns out to be as romantic as she portrayed it in her novels.

But what awaits her is a much harder life. There is no room for mistakes on a working cattle ranch in 1895, and Kate is ill-prepared for her new life. She quickly learns that dawn comes early . . . every day. But she is tenacious.

Having been abandoned by a string of men, Kate has no intention of ever marrying. But she didn't expect to meet Luke Adams either. Luke awakens feelings inside Kate she doesn't recognize, and his steady presence is a constant distraction. She has only written about love in the past, never known it herself. But her feelings for Luke stand in the way of all she has to gain if she is chosen as the heir.

Perhaps God brought Kate to the barrenness of the desert to give new life to her jaded heart.


GOODREADS LINK - CLICK HERE

MY REVIEW  

7 out of 10

I received this for review and I have to be honest and say that this is not normally the type of book I would pick up.  There are two types of stories that I tend to stay away from and they are war and westerns.  OK, so this one was a bit like a western story but the blurb sounded really good I thought I would give it a try and I was so glad I did.  

For me, what made this story really enjoyable was the romance element and character interaction.   I really felt like I was right inside the story and interacting with each of the characters.  Kate and Luke were great characters and I loved seeing how they interacted together and romance build up, however I do wish there was a bit more romance to the story.

Best wishes

Debs

0 comments: