18 Aug 2011

How long does it take you to finish a book?

I have been asked this question a lot recently so I thought I would sit down and write a little article about it. How long it takes me to read a book is like saying how long is a piece of string. It depends on many factors:

  • size of book;
  • whether I am 'into' the book or not; and
  • what mood I am in on that particular day.

Let's take, for example, a book that I have recently been reading, which is Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult. This is quite a long book at about 450 pages and the font is quite small. I tend to read anywhere up to about 50 pages a day; Mondays to Fridays when I am working I read in the evenings until I am near falling asleep and at the weekends it really does depend on whether it is a weekend doing activities or a weekend of just lazing around reading. If it is a weekend of just lazing around, I can easily get through a book a day (depending on the size and complexity of the book).

As to whether I am a fast reader, which also depends on the type of book I am reading. If it is an easy to read YA fiction book then I can probably wiz through it but still enjoy it and take in all the goodness of the story. If it is a slightly more detailed story (for example, Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult) I will tend to slow down and absorb all the complexities of the story and really enjoy and absorb the wonderfulness of the story.

Best wishes

Debs

0 comments: